National Tulip Day at Museumplein Amsterdam
January 18, 2025 @ 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Amsterdam, a city celebrated for its historic canals, is also deeply intertwined with the tulip, an emblematic symbol of Dutch heritage. While the Tulip Festival Amsterdam in spring is a well-known event, there’s another day that holds a special place in the hearts of both locals and tourists: National Tulip Day. Scheduled for 18 January 2025, this day marks the official commencement of the tulip season in the Netherlands. If you’re in Amsterdam on this day, here’s what you need to know.
What is National Tulip Day?
National Tulip Day, or ‘Nationale Tulpendag’ in Dutch, is an annual event that celebrates the start of the tulip season. It’s a day when tulip growers from all over the Netherlands come together to create a massive temporary garden filled with over 200,000 tulips at Amsterdam’s Museumplein. The best part? Visitors are invited to pick one tulip for free!
Picking your tulips at Museumplein
Location: Museumplein is situated in the heart of Amsterdam, flanked by world-renowned museums like the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum. The vast open space becomes a sea of colors on National Tulip Day.
How it Works:
- Arrival: The event usually starts in the afternoon, around 1 pm. It’s advisable to arrive early as there’s often a queue, and the tulips are available until stocks last.
- Picking: Once it’s your turn, you’re allowed to enter the garden and pick one tulip. Remember to bring your own bag to carry your flower.
- Enjoy the Atmosphere: Apart from tulip picking, there are often music performances, photo booths, and stalls providing information about tulips.
Tips for Tourists
- Dress Warmly: January in Amsterdam can be chilly. Ensure you’re dressed warmly, especially if you’re waiting in a queue.
- Capture the Moment: The sight of Museumplein filled with tulips against the backdrop of iconic museums is a photographer’s dream. Don’t forget your camera!
- Extend Your Visit: After picking your tulip, consider visiting one of the adjacent museums or enjoying a warm drink at a nearby café. There is also a ice skating rink at Museumplein.
- Booking: While the event itself doesn’t require tickets, if you’re planning to visit any museums afterward, it’s a good idea to book your tickets in advance to avoid long queues.
Why is it Special?
National Tulip Day is more than just an event; it’s a celebration of Dutch culture and the bond between the people and their beloved flower. For tourists, it’s a unique opportunity to participate in a local tradition, and the picked tulip serves as a beautiful memento of their time in Amsterdam.
Amsterdam’s canals have witnessed countless stories over the centuries. On 18 January 2025, add your own story by participating in National Tulip Day. As you hold your freshly picked tulip against the backdrop of the city’s historic architecture and serene canals, you’ll be part of a tradition that celebrates nature, culture, and the simple joys of life.